Interview Sheeba Magazine
2017 Issue #28, May (Spring Fashion)
Interview Sheeba Magazine | Bogdan, can you please begin by telling us a bit about your background? How did your interest in photography develop? What was your route to becoming a professional photographer?
- I have a media background and many years ago I started my own modeling agency. I had need a lot of photos and I bought a camera and started to shoot. I trained myself with doing a lot of photo shoots. I did a course after 9 years from the start, in 2015 wich was a Fashion and Photography course, more about fashion at Istituto Italiano di Fotografia in Milan.
In your opinion, how has photography influenced or changed you as a person?
- Photography influenced me a lot. I am inspired by places, people and wardrobe.
What is it that drew you to fashion photography?
- Working with models from the start made me study the fashion world and latest trends. After some years I made my own studio and started to work with clients.
What is the best part of being a photographer?
- The best part is that I meet a lot of people that I can collaborate with, and second is when you see your work big advertisements.
How would you describe your photographic vision?
- It is hard to describe your own visions. Usualy I let people describe my work. In general I think my style is very feminine.
Could you take us through the typical planning process for your images?
- I typical shoot starts with the idea even it is a client, an editorial or a test. With the idea I start to make a mood board so everybody from my team understands what we have to do. If you have a fashion stylist you will have the good wardrobe if not you have to search for them to match the mood board. You choose the model for it.. Then is just about creativity and experience. If you know what you have to do it is easy and take less time for everybody.
What from your point of view makes the shoot successful?
- Planning is the most important part. It can take up to 3 weeks.
In your honest opinion, what are the most difficult aspects of professional fashion photography?
- The most difficult aspects are the continued investment in photographic gear and marketing.
How do you get yourself inspired for a photo shoot? What gives you ideas to create your beautiful images?
- If you are connected to the fashion world you will have a lot of ideeas. Most important is to mix the trends with you own mood boards.
Is there anywhere in the world you are fascinated about and you would like to become a location for a shoot? (Why?)
- Warm places I think inspires everybody. Exotic islands are on top.
Do you have any physical aesthetic preferences in the models you shoot? What are you looking for in a fashion model? what is an X factor for you?
- When I choose a model I study how the light is looking on her face and how the skin reflects the light.
What tips can you recommend to models looking to expand their portfolio?
- Models should first practice posing with the mirror. You can not expand the book if you do not develop. Second, the agency job is to develop model’s portfolios.
What is the key to getting the best out of someone? Would you have any posing advice for models?
- You have to push the limits of the model step by step so she can understand and grow. They should study the posing first, second the photographer adjusts the pose.
The vibrancy and clarity in your work is something that immediately stands out. How important is Photoshop in your final images? And what do you think it delivers in the final image? You bring a very high production value to your work. What is your retouching/production philosophy?
- So, you give Photoshop more time than to photo shoot and that makes retouching very important. All clients want perfect images and this is why photographers spend a lot of hours in front of the pc.
How do you choose which images you provide to your clients? What makes the good picture stand out from the average? What makes a great fashion photograph?
- The good images are that ones that have perfect posing, hair and make-up, the product looks great. From these good ones the best is where the attitude of the model is perfect. To be great is when you can see all things that has to be in place in the photo before making the photo.
Is there anything we should look out for from you in 2017? Any cool projects that you are working on or have coming up that you don’t mind sharing with us?
- The next big project is a jewelry campaign that we will make in 3 weeks in Istanbul. We hope it will be a good weather.
What are your thoughts around social media? What role does it play in your photography business?
- As a photographer, I use social media as a marketing tool. And yes, it is very important.
Where can our readers keep up with your work and get connected with you? (Provide your website, Facebook page, instagram if any please)
- My website is www.bogdanteodorov.com and social media:
What is going through your mind when you are on set behind the camera?
- I am very focused when I am working and I look at all details that should be perfect. It is impossible to think about other things.
One thing that bugs you about humans is that…?
- I expect people to be on time. Not everytime I get that..
What superpower you wish you had and why?
- If I could fly instantly to beautiful locations would be great J Like that I could create everything I imagine.
Thank you, Bogdan. J